W. Warren Harmon House
The Harmon Museum, former home of W. Warren Harmon and his wife, Grace Wales Harmon
The Old Orchard Beach Historical Society was incorporated on November 10, 1954. Among the Society's original members, W. Warren Harmon and his wife, Grace Wales Harmon, then living at 4 Portland Avenue, were active supporters.
Warren graduated from the University of Maine in 1910 with a BS degree in Economics. In 1918, he enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Service (now U.S. Air Force) serving in various locations around the country until his discharge in 1919. Warren was an active businessman for over fifty years, starting his own real estate agency in 1915. He served his community as Town Treasurer, Town Auditor, and Town Moderator for 25 years from 1928-1952. He founded the American Legion Post #57 and the Chapter of the Boy Scouts of America for Old Orchard.Warren belonged to many organizations such as the Old Orchard Beach Kiwanis Club Orchard Lodge #215. He became a thirty-second degree Mason of the Consistory Scottish Rite in Austin, Texas.
Mr. Harmon was held in high esteem and respect for his fairness to everyone with whom he had dealings. Upon his death on January 22, 1974 at the age of 87, he added to his honorable record of community service by making the Town of Old Orchard Beach and the Old Orchard Beach Historical Society a principal beneficiary of his will.
The Town Council and the Historical Society accepted the bequests in February 1974. The Harmon residence thus became the property of the Town and is now designated the Harmon Memorial Museum.